Associations & Memberships
After more than a decade of practicing in the Vancouver office of a national law firm, Callum G. (Cal) Kelly joined Stevens Virgin as Associate Counsel in October of 2013. Cal practices primarily in the area of insurance defence and is known for his attentive customer service and respectful but firm dealings with the other side.
Cal represents product manufacturers faced with product liability and recall issues. He acts regularly for a prominent international elevator and escalator company, as well as a number of sporting goods and retail manufacturers. He defends both personal injury and property damage claims, while also helping with advice on product recalls as necessary. He has experience in trials involving defamation, ownership of joint bank accounts, and all manners of personal injury. Cal has been involved in most aspects of litigation involving long-term disability insurers in the past 15 years, with extensive experience in the Federal Court of Canada and the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Cal also defends catastrophic personal injury claims, regularly handling claims that could warrant an award in excess of $1 million. His extensive experience in a number of other commercial litigation areas, including most forms of insurance litigation (with significant experience in defending life and disability claims).
Cal enjoys the back and forth inherent in all litigated claims and takes pride in doing whatever is necessary to get the job done.
Associations & Memberships
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association and legislative liason for the Products Liability Sub-section
- Member of the Trial Lawyers of British Columbia
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Defence Research Institute and regular attender of the Products Liability Annual Meeting
- Counsel on the leading case involving quantifying the subrogation interest that disability insurers have in personal injury awards: Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada v. Solypa (2001), 96 B.C.L.R. (3d) 178 (S.C.).
- Counsel on the leading recent case involving claims against social hosts in the Province of British Columbia for the provision of free alcohol: Sidhu v. Hebert et al, 2011 BCSC 1364.
- Callum Kelly to speak at BC Society of Fellows of the Insurance Institute of Canada luncheon
July 13, 2017
- Cal is a life-long learner and educator. In just the past five years, he has spoken twice at the annual Insight Information Conference on Disability Claims Management, twice for the Canadian Defence Lawyers on expert evidence, and twice for the Continuing Legal Education Society (on limitation periods and real estate litigation matters).
- Cal is also the author of a chapter on interpretation of insurance policies in the text Business Interruption Insurance, 2nd edition (editors John Siegel, Sean Gosnell, and Bruce Webster), Canada Law Book Inc., 2006.
- Guest Judge, Professional Legal Training Course, Law Society of British Columbia